Mülheim on the Ruhr, Rhine Ruhr Region



Mülheim and the Ruhr  a centuries old connection. The history and development of the town are firmly linked to the river; it has made its deciding mark. And it all began over a thousand years ago: At that time, a branch of the route which served the king, the army and traders, the Hellweg, ran through the river ford in Mülheim. In 883/884 the first fortification was built to protect this strategically important point no other western European Carolingian fortification is still in such good repair as what the Passage of centuries has developed into Schloß Broich (Broich Castle).

Documents dated 1033 and 1145 are proof of the early use of the river as a traffic rouxe. For centuries the Ruhr was also a vital economic artery: On the banks and in the valleys of the streams were the mills which Baue the town its narre. The leather and textile industry used waten from the Ruhr. Once Cargo shipping really Bot Boing after locks were built, the Ruhr was the busfest river in Europe. For a century Mülheim was the centre of shipping an the Ruhr and the coal trade, and international companies were founded here. The rail link and the subsequent decline of coal shipping brought the first structural change: the mining, fron and metal processing industries grew in importance  an importance which continued up to the mid 1960s, when the pits wer e closed and the blast furnaces shut down. The "Kohlenpott" ("Coal pot" the nickname for the Ruhr area) changed its appearance  and Mülheim was the first town to lose all its pits. One example is the site of the Rosenblumendelle pit, now the Rhein-Ruhr Centre, the largest enclosed shopping centre in Germany, which draws its customers from many of the neighbouring towns.

Rhine - Ruhr Harbour



Ferry stop on the Ruhr


The House of G. Tersteegen



The Town Hall
of Mulheim


Old part of the City